You are here
(13-week position beginning May 15, 2017)
For eleven weeks in May-August 2017, twenty college-age students will join dozens of visiting and staff scientists at Harvard Forest in researching the effects of natural and human disturbances on forest ecosystems as part of the HF Summer Research Program. The Program Assistant works closely with the Summer Program Coordinator in organizing the various educational components of the summer program. S/he provides information, advising, support and discipline required to create a hospitable academic work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities (work under the supervision of the Summer Program Coordinator)
Assistant Program Coordinator
- Assist with student arrival and orientation (May 21st – 23th)
- Inform students of Harvard Forest activities, policies, and expectations
- Coordinate weekly evening workshops and seminars
- Work with Summer Program Coordinator to resolve student issues
- Organize Summer Student Symposium in early-August
- Work on various tasks as needed to facilitate summer research program
- Responsible for day-to-day activities related to the successful operation of a student residence
- Hold weekly house meetings
- Plan, organize, and direct student committees (recycling, social activities, etc.)
- Serve as advisor to student on matters concerning community development, conflict resolution and counseling
Required Skills, Training and Experience
- Excellent listening, negotiation, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and computer skills, comfortable using email and list-serves
- Capable of performing a variety of tasks simultaneously
- Work independently with moderate supervision
- Previous experience working with ethnically and culturally diverse population preferred
Time Commitment and Compensation
Compensation is $14.25/hour for 40 hours per week for 13 weeks (May 15 to August 11, 2017). The assistant has a private room, shared office space with computer and access to Forest vehicles. The position requires on site residence (room and board provided) with weeknight and weekend work.
Please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to the address below. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For questions, please contact:
Manisha V. Patel, Summer Program Coordinator
324 N. Main Street
Petersham, MA 01366
NO PHONE CALLS, please.