You are here
HF in the News
Invasive Plants, Pests and Pathogens
- Hemlock Hospice is an elegy for the dying New England hemlock forest. By Renée Loth. Boston Globe, December 11, 2017.
- The Forest for the Trees: exploring the unexpected interplay of art, history, and science at Harvard Forest. By Ronee Saroff. Harvard University Graduate School of Design News, November 8, 2017.
- 2017 Could Be Banner Foliage Year. NECN - New Englands News Station, September 26, 2017.
- 20 Years Later: CAFNR researcher returns to East Coast to work on gypsy moth studies through fellowship at Harvard Forest. By Stephen Schmidt. CAFNR News, October 14, 2016.
- Study: Worcester model for keeping ALB, costs in check. By Moulton. Worcester Telegram and Gazette, June 11, 2016.
- The high costs of imported pests. By Alvin Powell. Harvard Gazette, May 11, 2016.
- Forest Pests Cause $2 Billion in Damage in the US Every Year. By Mary B. Griggs. Popular Science, May 10, 2016.
- New Study Calls for Stepped-up Forest Pest Prevention. By Paul Tuthill. WAMC Norhteast Public Radio, May 10, 2016.
- The 'slow motion crisis' that's facing U.S. forests. By Chris Mooney. The Washington Post, May 10, 2016.
- Damage from invasive forest pests as high as $2b a year, study finds. By David Abel. The Boston Globe, May 5, 2016.
- If a Tree Falls: Fighting Climate Change in the Harvard Forest. By Bailey M. Trela. The Harvard Crimson, April 21, 2016.
- $165,000 grant funds Bates study of tree structure and drought response. By Doug Hubley. Bates News, February 5, 2016.
- Are Harvard's Dying Hemlocks a Warning for Trees Everywhere?. By Hillary Rosner. National Geographic, April 2, 2015.
- A Web of Sensors Enfolds an Entire Forest to Uncover Clues to Climate Change. By Mark Harris. IEEE Spectrum Magazine, February 26, 2015.
- A Hemlock Farewell. By Laura Levis. Harvard Magazine, July-August 2014.
- The Pisgah Forest: Harvard's Living Laboratory. By David Foster. Northern Woodlands, Spring 2014.
- Forest Farewell: An ode to an iconic tree. By Robert Sullivan. Orion, March/April 2014.
- Wasps infesting, imperiling area's black oaks. By David Abel. The Boston Globe, November 18, 2013.
- Lush and leafy forests will need protection. By Steve Grant. Hartford Courant, October 5, 2013.
- New England sees a return of forests, wildlife. By Colin Nickerson. The Boston Globe, August 31, 2013.
- Forest winners and losers in a changing climate. By Doug Struck. Boston Globe - Green Blog, June 13, 2013.
- Let It Be: Hands-off approach is best for forest recovery after a major storm. By Roberta Kwok. Consrevation Magazine, December 1, 2012.
- With Deaths of Forests, a Loss of Key Climate Protectors. By Justin Gillis. The New York Times, October 1, 2011.
- Threat from Asian beetle expands beyond cities. By David Abel. The Boston Globe, August 29, 2011.
- Forests transition as New England warms. By Doug Struck. The Daily Climate, June 22, 2010.
- In dead Vineyard oaks, a warming warning. By Beth Daley. Boston Globe, Nov. 2, 2009.
- Invasion of the longhorns. By Peter Alsop. Smithsonian, Nov. 2009.